Your privacy is very important to us, so whether you’re new to CUW or a long-time member, please take the time to get to know our practices.
CUW’s Service and Member Data
Member Data may include, without limitation, information about the identity of Members (such as name, date of birth, postal address, e-mail address, IP address and phone number), as well as information about the pages that users visit and the features that they use, and the actions that they take while using the Service.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect personal information about you in the following ways:
Information you give us
Personal information that you may provide through the Service or otherwise communicate with us includes:
- Identity information, such as your first name, last name, title, date of birth and gender;
- Contact information, such as your postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Feedback and correspondence, such as information you provide to report a problem with the Service, receive customer support or otherwise correspond with us;
- Financial information, such as your credit card or other payment card details;
- Transaction information, such details about contributions you make through the Service and billing details;
- Usage information, such as information about how you use the Service and interact with us;
- Marketing information, such your preferences for receiving communications and details about how you engage with them;
Information automatically collected
Our servers may automatically record certain information about how you use our Site (we refer to this information as “Log Data”), including both members and casual visitors. Log Data may include information such as a user’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, device and browser type, operating system, the pages or features of our Site to which a user browsed and the time spent on those pages or features, the frequency with which the Site is used by a user, the links on our Site that a user clicked on or used, and other statistics. We use this information to administer the Service and we analyze (and may engage third parties to analyze) this information to improve and enhance the Service by expanding its features and functionality and tailoring it to our users’ needs and preferences.
Sensitive personal information
Subject to the following paragraph, we ask that you not send or disclose to us any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or union membership) on or through the Service or otherwise.
How We Use Your Personal Information
To provide the Service
If you are a member, we use your personal information:
- to operate, maintain, administer and improve the Service;
- to manage and communicate with you regarding your membership, including by sending you Service announcements, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- to process payments you make through the Service;
- to better understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Service; and
- to respond to your Service-related requests, questions and feedback.
To comply with law
We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
With your consent
We may use or share your personal information with your consent, such as when you consent to let us post your testimonials or endorsements on our Site, you instruct us to take a specific action with respect to your personal information or you opt into third party marketing communications.
To create anonymous data for analytics
We may create anonymous data from your personal information and other individuals whose personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by excluding information that makes the data personally identifiable to you, and use that anonymous data for our lawful business purposes.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety
We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to (a) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Service; (b) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
How We Share your Personal Information
- Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement; Protection and Safety. CUW may disclose information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as required by law, and disclose and use such information as we believe necessary or appropriate to (a) comply with applicable laws and lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Service; (d) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (e) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
Access to Data Controlled by our Members
CUW has no direct relationship with the individuals whose personal information is contained within the Member User Data processed by our Service. An individual who seeks access, or who seeks to correct, amend, or delete personal information provided by our Members should direct their request the Member.
If you gave us consent to post a testimonial to our site, but wish to update or delete it, please contact us.
Choosing not to share your personal information
Where we need to collect your personal information by law, or to be able to provide the Service to you and you do not provide that information when requested (or you later ask to delete it), we may not be able to provide you with the Service and may need to cancel your membership. We will tell you what information you must provide to receive the Service by designating it as required in the Service or through other appropriate means.
We work diligently to review and process every membership application in a timely manner. Most applications are processed and received in 7-14 business days. However, due to the high volume of requests, please allow 30 days from the application date to receive your membership documents.
The security of your personal information important to us. We take a number of organizational, technical and physical measures designed to protect the personal information we collect, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no security safeguards are 100% secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
CUW is headquartered in the United States and has affiliates and service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.
Social Media Widgets
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.